Four students reach the medals podium in Russia!
SALT LAKE CITY – Westminster College congratulates its 23 students who competed in Russia—10% of the U.S. team! The college had more students in the Games than any other college or university in the country. Griffins everywhere are incredibly proud of the four students, and three former* students, who made it to the medals podium:
• Kaitlyn Farrington* – Gold in snowboard halfpipe
• Vic Wild* – Gold (Russia) in snowboard giant slalom
“It takes immense dedication to complete at such a high level. That kind of focus is inspirational to our entire campus,” said Dr. Brian Levin-Stankevich, president of Westminster College. “We thoroughly enjoy working with these elite athletes and being part of their success off the slopes.”
Westminster and the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association (USSA) recently renewed a partnership that has provided college education to more than 100 national team athletes since 2005. The tuition grant program allows the athletes to combine elite level training with higher education.
“Westminster’s an awesome program. I’m super appreciative that they’ve given me this opportunity. It’s probably the best sponsorship that I’ll ever get in my entire life,” said bronze medal winner, Alex Deibold.
During the games in Russia, the college and its 23 students grabbed headlines nationwide. News coverage is available at news.westminstercollege.edu. The campus followed each of the athlete’s progress on the college’s website. For full results and student bios visit www.westminstercollege.edu/dedicated. Congratulations Griffins!
2014 Westminster athletes in Sochi:
- Maddie Bowman (Halfpipe), Sophomore
- Joss Christensen (Ski Slopestyle), Freshman
- Alex Deibold (Snowboardcross), Freshman
- Jessie Diggins (Cross Country), Sophomore
- Bryan Fletcher (Nordic Combined), Freshman
- Taylor Fletcher (Nordic Combined), Freshman
- Julia Ford (Alpine), Freshman
- Travis Ganong (Alpine), Freshman
- Jared Goldberg (Alpine), Freshman
- Faye Gulini (Snowboardcross), Sophomore
- Jackie Hernandez (Snowboardcross), Freshman
- Lindsey Jacobellis (Snowboardcross), Freshman
- Jessika Jenson (Snowboard Slopestyle), Freshman
- Jessica Jerome (Ski Jumping), Junior
- Torin Koos (Cross Country), Master of Professional Communication
- Devin Logan (Ski Slopestyle), Freshman
- Megan McJames (Alpine), Sophomore
- Heather McPhie (Moguls), Junior
- Eliza Outtrim (Moguls), Freshman
- Brita Sigourney (Halfpipe), Junior
- Leanne Smith (Alpine), Freshman
- Marco Sullivan (Alpine), Freshman
- Jacqueline Wiles (Alpine), Freshman
Media Contacts: Krista DeAngelis & Arikka Von (801) 832-2682
Westminster is a nationally recognized, comprehensive liberal arts college. With a broad array of graduate and undergraduate programs, Westminster is distinguished by its unique environment for learning. Westminster prepares students for success through active and engaged learning, real world experiences and its vibrant campus community. Westminster’s unique location, adjacent to the Rocky Mountains and to the dynamic city of Salt Lake, further enriches the college experience. For more information, visitwww.westminstercollege.edu or follow WestminsterSLC on Twitter.