It’s August, and if you’re anything like me, the turning over of the calendar caught you by surprise. We are now well beyond the halfway point of summer, and yet I feel like I’m just now starting to explore summertime activities. I don’t know if it was because I skied fifteen days in June, or because I recently skied the last of my 153 days on July 15th, but for whatever reason, I feel like summer is just flying by.
Well, it’s time to play catch up!
Let August 1st be the wake-up call to get out of the house and make the most of the last full month of summer. Before we know it, the record-breaking temperatures, endless blue skies, and the late summer sunsets will yield to crisp fall mornings, football, and photos of fall foliage. As excited as I am for those crisp fall nights to then yield to the snowy winter mornings, now is not the time to sit around daydreaming of winters past and future. It’s time to make the most of what’s left of summer. Lucky for you, I’m an expert in summering (and making up my own words), and I’m here to be your activities coordinator.
Here are our summer goals. Now it's time to get to work!
Step 1: List everything that reminds you of summer:
Step 2: Let’s do all of those things in one month!!!
- Tuesday, August 1: Hike Mount Superior
- Wednesday, August 2: Standup Paddleboarding and Free Community Concert at Deer Valley
- Thursday, August 3: Hike Brighton Lakes Trail
- Friday, August 4: Free Local’s Night at the Park City Arts Fest
- Saturday August 5: Tour of Utah finish at Snowbird
- Sunday, August 6: Brunch and Blues, Brews and BBQ with the Old 97’s at Snowbasin
- Monday, August 7: Full Moon Zip Line Tour @ Sundance
- Tuesday, August 8: Summer Country Hoedown @ Alta Peruvian Lodge
- Wednesday, August 9: Ride Summit Bike Share eBikes to the Farmer’s Market at Canyons Village
- Thursday, August 10: Thirsty Thursday and 90’s Night with the Salt Lake Bees
- Friday, August 11: Social Axe Throwing in Ogden
- Saturday, August 12: Hike White Pine Like and celebrate the opening weekend of Oktoberfest @ Snowbird
- Sunday, August 13: Float the Weber River
- Monday, August 14: Lift-served mountain biking at Park City Mountain Resort - Canyons Base
- Tuesday August 15: SUP Fitness at PC SUP at Deer Valley
- Wednesday, August 16: SCOTT Twilight Mountain Biking @ Deer Valley
- Thursday, August 17: Boating and sunset wakesurfing on the Jordanelle
- Friday, August 18: See The Book of Mormon Musical at the Eccles Center in SLC
- Saturday, August 19: Slip N Soar @ Utah Olympic Park
- Sunday, August 20: Reggae Rise Up Festival in Heber
- Monday, August 21: Partial Solar Eclipse party @ Snowbasin Resort
- Tuesday, August 22: Outdoor Yoga at Snowbird
- Wednesday, August 23: Picnic and watch Meru at the Red Butte Garden Amphitheater
- Thursday, August 24: Pow Mow Trail Trials Race @ Powder Mountain
- Friday, August 25: Go camping in the Uintas
- Saturday, August 26: Compete in the Cirque Series Race at Snowbird
- Sunday, August 27: Ride Summit Share eBikes to Silly Market on Main Street Park City
- Monday, August 28: Ride the Alpine Coaster @ Park City Mountain
- Tuesday, August 29: Paddleboarding and cliff jumping at Causey Reservoir
- Wednesday, August 30: Take the dogs for a hike and swim in Blood Lake
- Thursday, August 31: The Roots at the SLC Twilight Concert Series
Congratulations! We just managed to squeeze an entire summer’s worth of activities into just one month. Get summer out of your system now, because fall is on the way, followed by winter, and your apres-ski conditioning classes starting September 1st.